• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zabka
    Imperial Guard
    • Nov 2004
    • DSA Zabka

August console sale estimates and PS3 price drop speculation

While Wedbush Morgan is a fairly small boutique, its gaming analyst seems to have captured the attention of the media (I don't know about Wall Street since I don't cover the space). Their analyst predicts that 360 sales were boosted to 240K in August (up from 170K in July) and the PS3 sales dropped somewhat to 150K after the surge they got in July.

Good news for potential PS3 owners, however, is that he believes the price cut to $499 on the 80 gig PS3 will come ahead of Thanksgiving and believes that the price will drop to $399 by April 08. Of course he has no real insight into price cuts of this sort, but probably has as good of a feel for the market dynamics as anybody out there. I would guess that the 360 will also cut prices in08.

Next gen consoles are getting cheaper everyone.
    You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]
    Grejo
    Civilian
    • Jul 2006

it's just the super powers of the gaming world competing to get people's money. it's good for us, but if this continues, won't they lose profits and then have to charge more for map packs and idk any other updates that they release? i mean the 80 gig PS3 started at what, 600 bucks? and now it might drop to 400? that's 200 more dollars in your pocket and 200 less in theirs. that's a huge profit.

and how much do you really think it would cost sony to make a complete 80 gig PS3 with all the normal things that's included in the product? they're getting closer and closer to just breaking even and i KNOW Sony isn't nice enough to deal with that, so wtf is going on?

this also applies to microsoft and the 360, how is price drops gonna help the company if they're dropping it by 100 dollars at a time?

what i'm concerned with really is what the companies are thinking. hell i know it's great to keep hundreds of dollars in my own pocket, but how is this affecting everything else? games? updates? future consoles?

Comment

RaTix
      Emperor

As always , it's never about the actual consoles themselves, but rather the licensing fees to 3rd party developers. The more consoles they sell, the more demand with the developers to want and get in on the action and develop for that console. The games and licensing is where the money is made back.
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

Ad

Collapse
      Working...