Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EagleOne
    Honorary DSA

Online Universities

Is anyone here ever taken online classes or attended these so called online universties. The reason I am asking is because I am interested in going back to school but would like to do it from home. Does anyone recommend anything. I feel like I am lacking some thing and wish to further my education.

Any advise would be more than accepted?

Taco_assassin
    Honorary DSA
    • Mar 2006
    • DSA TacO

Dunno Eagle. I need to do the same so i've been looking at different schools for things i'm interested in. I've also been considering which of those schools are accreditted so the credits matter should i end up taking it further than a bachelors. I'd be happy to share whatever i find with you.

Comment

RegentOne
      Imperial Advisor

Yep, Eagle. I have taken many on-line courses for my degree. I liked them. The only problem with them is you have to be self motivated and committed to doing the home work assignments. Plus, it is not like a classroom sitting where you converse with everyone. I had a tough time with accounting online. It was a lot of home work and understanding of ledgers and such. My computer classes on-line were easy. I think you will like it as long as you can set aside time to commit to the course work.
      "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
      {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

Muncher
        Lieutenant

I don't think you would get the real experiance from online. If you do, be careful. Some online universities are fake.
        We are all gonna have to live in da woods some day, cause the government is gonna take our guns away.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Shoot_Me_Now
          Civilian
          • Nov 2007

I've taking an online pre calculus class and it was quite easy. i could keep doing the homework over and over until i got a 100% and then i only needed to get like a 60 on every test. So if you need math i wouldn't recommend it as you don't learn much but if you just need to get it out of the way its the way to go.
          sigpic

Comment

RaTix
            Emperor

I can tell you which school to NOT go with. Axia, University of Phoenix, or whatever they call themselves now. I did tech support for them and Wow, I have never had to deal with more incompetent people in my life.
            "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
            ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

The_Blunt
              Officer
              • Jul 2007
              • DSA Blunt

Eagle, check this site out. See if you like.

Penn Foster offers self-paced, affordable programs in our high school, college & career school. Your education is here. Learn about our programs today.
              sigpic

Comment

THeDRiZZLe
                Honorary DSA
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RaTix
                I can tell you which school to NOT go with. Axia, University of Phoenix, or whatever they call themselves now. I did tech support for them and Wow, I have never had to deal with more incompetent people in my life.
                U of Phoenix is the one I have seen consistently advertised for years up here and they seem to be the biggest player in the online school market.

Personally, I would never get a degree from one. Getting a few classes that are transferable out of the way is one thing, but they will never equal the education you get from a real university...not to mention the eye candy at a real school!

Of course I am biased.....when I graduated college back in 96 the internet barely existed. Qualcom was starting the .com boom with the lightning fast 56k modem! God how much easier college would have been with the internet....kids calling into the cable company these days bitching that we shut off their internet because they haven't paid their bill "but I have a paper due tommorrow!" make me want to puke! Most of them have never seen the inside of a library! lol

**** I'm old!

Comment

EagleOne
                  Honorary DSA

Well with my work schedule I don't think I would have the time to step in a classroom especially since I am always on call. the only free time I do have is when I am at work lol. I pretty much get everything done in the morning between 6-8 am central so the rest of the day is here in my office, that's why I think online university would be perfect for me. I not so much worried about the college experience because then I would have to quit my job to be a full time student and my wife would kick my ass.

Does anyone here have any knowledge about the University Of Maryland?
                  Here is there websiteClick the link

Comment

Capthemfoos
                    Honorary DSA

Yea, I now about that Eagle. My mom tried to take their courses(we live in Maryland) a while back. They are very rigorous and for the English-related subjects you have to write a ton. Otherwise, its a great University I hear.

"The world will look up and shout 'Save us!!!', and I will whisper 'No.'". -Rorschach, Watchmen

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                    Working...