• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • norm
    Imperial Guard
    • Jun 2006
    • DSA norm

Time Warner Cable

For those of you that don't know. TWC is imposing internet caps in Greensboro, NC, Rochester, NY, and Austin, TX. Here is a break down of the first set of caps 5GB, 10GB, 20GB, 40GB. The prices are from $30 to $55 per month with a charge of $1 for each GB over the cap.

Well this lead to a huge outcry and TWC released a new press release here http://a.longreply.com/109511 they basically said the first press release was "premature" and here are the new caps. They are 1GB, 10GB, 20GB, 40GB, 60GB, and a "super" tier of 100GB. The super tier will cost $75. Overage charges will be capped at $75.

So for the service I have now I pay $50 per month. According to TWC I will pay $150 for the exact same service. That's a huge problem. TWC is only trying these caps in areas where they have no competition. I don't know if any of you use TWC. If you do look for other ISP's and research switching. If there isn't an alternative call and write your leaders and let them know this could happen in your town. Let them know they need to act now to keep this from happening in your town.

Here are some numbers to keep in mind
    100GB will take 22.7 hours to download at 10MBps.

For those that downloaded Warhawk or Socom, how many GB's was that? For those that download arcade games and DLC how many GB's do those add up to? I shouldn't have to mention downloading from Steam and how much that is. That's just gaming. I haven't touched Itunes, Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon TV, Zune, and Hulu. There's also all those YouTube clips and pictures you mail email back and forth to family and friends. For those of you in school what about all the online requirements for your classes?

If you have no idea how much you use in a month download FreeMeter http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/ and find out for yourself.

On the bright side we might get DOCSIS3.0 speeds (50MBps down and 5MBps up). Downside is that it costs $99 and 100GB at 50MBps speeds will take 4.5 hours to download.
  • TheRealHanSolo
    Officer
    • Jun 2008
    • DSA Solo

Norm for you and I Verizon Fios is not available in this area. I do not want to go back to DSL b/c it is much slower. I may have to go sign a contract and pay to have wireless broadband through a cell carrier. LAME.

Comment

• RaTix
      Emperor

For cable that sucks. FIOS is the same price, but 50mbps Down and 20 up. Not to mention Fiber Optic, so no neighborhood bandwidth sharing.

Optimum is 39.95 for normal, about 49.95 for Boost which is 30mbps down, 5mbps up. They've been known to cap customer's too though.

Just get a T1 line. lol.
      "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
      ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

• norm
        Imperial Guard
        • Jun 2006
        • DSA norm

Actually signing a contract may not help.

Google Cache of TWC

As you notice

How will this impact my Price Lock Guarantee? The plan will not impact your Price Lock Guarantee price, but it could mean a small incremental fee that will vary by month depending on how much you exceed the megabit usage that goes with your level of Road Runner service.
        means you could be screwed too. TWC took the page down, changed some things and put it back up with a few edits. So I wouldn't get the price lock.

Comment

• norm
          Imperial Guard
          • Jun 2006
          • DSA norm

Solo you should come out Saturday to TWC in Greensboro and protest with us. It's from 11am to 5pm.

Comment

• Zabka
            Imperial Guard
            • Nov 2004
            • DSA Zabka

so you are limited in how much you can game too? they wont do this where there is competition since they would lose subs. trying to raise rpus this way could really hurt them. but they are in need od cash due to the spinout from tw and the dividend they paid to get spun
            You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

• norm
              Imperial Guard
              • Jun 2006
              • DSA norm

not according to their earnings report

Which this came out because of statements about the high cost of bandwidth and the lack of funds. The shareholders started to bitch and then TWC pointed out the earnings report. Which went against some of their reasons for implementing the caps to begin with.

Doesn't really make sense does it Zabka. ;)

Comment

• THeDRiZZLe
                Honorary DSA
                • Nov 2005

If you want to protest I suggest you go to the houses of the assholes who were downloading hundreds of he movies and slowing down everyone else by sucking up all the bandwidth. The only reason the ISPs are instituting these limits is because they lost to those guys in court when they started limiting the abusers who were downloading so much it was affecting their neighbors. TWC and the other carriers are just trying to protect their networks. They aren't capable or designed to handle the massive traffic some of these people were creating uploading and downloading hd movies. These caps are just a reaction to a court ruling.

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                  Officer
                  • Jun 2008
                  • DSA Solo

Norm I will try but my lady is gonna be in town for about 4 days and she is mad that I may have to work on Saturday, but I will see what I can do. I'll PM you if I can make it.

Comment

• norm
                    Imperial Guard
                    • Jun 2006
                    • DSA norm

well if you can make it bring the lady, we can go out downtown for a meal afterwards, couple date and our girls can laugh at how nerdy we are.:D

You don't have to come for the whole protest btw

lol

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                      Officer
                      • Jun 2008
                      • DSA Solo

Well Norm I will talk to her tomorrow and see if she is cool with lunch or something, and I am sure our ladies can talk about how nerdy we are lol.

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                        Officer
                        • Jun 2008
                        • DSA Solo

Norm my lady said no. Mostly cause she is needer than a homeless man outside of an ABC store and she wants to just lay in bed all day. So I am gonna do that....and catch up on some much needed sleep. But I will be there in spirit.

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                          Officer
                          • Jun 2008
                          • DSA Solo

Comment

• norm
                            Imperial Guard
                            • Jun 2006
                            • DSA norm

Yep I saw that and I'm still going to the protest. You missed one of the best quotes from TWC.

The company stated in a news release that it will shelve the trials "while the customer education process continues."

Yah they are going to reeducate us!! Wait isn't that what the German's called it?

It's a shame and they are going to try again either through caps or something else.

Comment

• TheRealHanSolo
                              Officer
                              • Jun 2008
                              • DSA Solo

Well this is the perfect time for someone like Verizon to step in, too bad TWC has laid all the cable in this area for a decade now. But here is hoping that they back off and if they try it again they better expect an even worse outcry.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎