Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • captnjeter
    Honorary DSA

What I Learned from a Road Trip

So this week was the second major road trip I've taken and the longest I've done yet. The only other long trip I've driven was two months ago up to Utica, but that was still in New York and not many weird things happened. It was me, my friend, sister and her friend in one car while my parents took another one. We stopped over-night in a motel just north of Richmond to lessen the driving load. I did all the driving. This is pretty much "New York Boy Meets Southern Comfort". Here's my conclusion...

1: Hardee's Burgers are the best ever. There was a thread here a while ago about which place had the best burgers and I said Checkers was the best. I had never been to a Hardee's until last Saturday and they are by far the best!

2: If you're looking for a McDonald's, don't go down I-95 in North Carolina. That's how we found the Hardee's. There's got to be a fifty mile stretch starting about five miles past the VA-NC border where there was no McDonalds. Eventually we gave in to hunger and decided to try Hardees.

3: There are too many roads listed as State Routes in Virginia and North Carolina. Probably because I have a strange curiosity for roads and county/state routes but the one thing about Long Island is that we have about 15 state routes and I'm going down the interstate and every other road is listed as State Route One Thousand and Something. Very odd.

4: There is a difference between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. We left Richmond on the way down and I put the address for the resort into my GPS. The address given was for Myrtle Beach but the hotel was in NORTH Myrtle Beach. So when we got to the place the GPS told me to go, everyone was like "where the fuck is it?". So after some angry phone calls from my parents wondering where we were, we realized that we were a town off.

The thing is that North MB and MB, the streets are listed the same. There's an Ocean Boulevard where all the hotels are and streets 1-85 in both towns! So frustrating. And the traffic on US17 is so slow it took us a half hour to get from Myrtle Beach to North Myrtle Beach.

5: Whatever the fuck Wayport Network is, never connect to it. That's the wi-fi we had in the resort and it was so slow I would have been better off snail-mailing letters to Norm or Regent!

I got to experience the back roads of North Carolina, including one town called Lumberton, which has got to be the middle of nowhere. The exit off I-95 the GPS listed apparently didn't exist... or I missed it, but I think it's the prior. So I decided to take local roads from just north of the NC-SC border to Myrtle Beach. Very odd roads. I went from doing 70 to slowing down for passing through Main Street for the village of Middle of Nowheresville. I had to pass a tractor doing 30 mph in a 55 on NC SR 41 by passing him on a two lane dotted-yellow road! We actually went back the same way and stopped at some McDonalds in Lumberton and were very surprised to come across civilization in an otherwise farmland. Norm, Solo, please tell me Greensboro isn't like this! If it is, I ain't never coming down! :D

Regent, my sister also came to the conclusion that people in South Carolina can't drive. She and her friend went to Wilmington to visit her friend's grandma and she got pissed off that a Bimmer was doing 50 in a 65. The only thing I found odd was people who stopped in the middle of the intersection at a red light actually backed up behind the line... and that people behind that car backed up so that the first car could back up! That and the guy who was riding in the "pick-up" part of a pick-up truck... that usually doesn't happen here!

Other highlights include traffic on I-95 in Baltimore and D.C. during rush hour, traffic heading toward Richmond during rush hour, seeing not one but two people stop their car in the middle of rush hour traffic to switch drivers in their car (friend got a pic with one car door open), trying to pick up WCBS-AM to listen to Yankee games 700 miles away from the station (the station was staticky but came in). Last night we had dinner with my dad's friend from high school who lives in Richmond. I hadn't seen them since we visited them 14 years ago and they have a 15 old son and a daughter that's 18 and grew up nicely... unfortunately I already was told that none of my friends would be willing to travel to Richmond to visit her with me so that got shot down quickly :D

All in all, a very good trip.
    "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter
    Snak3 ey3s
    Civilian

Welcome home! sounds like you had a good time
    boom headshot.

Comment

TheRealHanSolo
      Officer
      • Jun 2008
      • DSA Solo

Hardee's Burgers are the best ever.
      True Jeter. Though wait till you come down and I take you to Cook-Out. GREATEST MILKSHAKES EVER!! And there are like 50 some. Oh and Checkers has the BEST fries, the end.

I went from doing 70 to slowing down for passing through Main Street for the village of Middle of Nowheresville. I had to pass a tractor doing 30 mph in a 55 on NC SR 41 by passing him on a two lane dotted-yellow road!
      Jeter I have made that drive and I laughed really long when I read that. No Greensboro is not like that....but about 10 mins outside of it is.

Oh and I hate SC for many of the same reasons. Why the hell would two towns side by side or if its Columbia the same town have 2 roads named the same thing???? BLOWS MY MIND!! Plus SC has a lake named Lake Watery........really. You just couldn't come up with a name for the lake so you just said hey its watery, DING, we will call it that. Sorry Regent don't mean to pick on SC but I had a bad experience in Columbia plus got pulled over in SC, so I have a strong dislike of said state lol.

Please tell me you stopped at South of the Border??

Comment

captnjeter
        Honorary DSA

I'm not sure if you'd call this fast food per se, but the best fries I've had were at Five Guys burger. I went to one up in Connecticut and when I saw there was one down the road from where we stayed I knew I had to go there one day. But those are great fries.

We did not stop at South of the Border. We saw signs for it but I'm not sure where exactly it is. We got off of 95 before crossing into SC so I don't know what's off of the interstate there. We kept seeing signs for that and some Adult Shop.

Are firework illegal in North Carolina? Because everyone was shooting off fireworks on the beach like it was a holiday.

I tried to avoid driving in South Carolina as much as I could. The only time I drove was to dinner a couple of nights and Friday night I drove us four kiddies to (non-terrorist) mini golf and then to Sonic. I happened to get lost while driving back from a Sonic and a 20 minute car ride became a 45 minute journey at 11:30 at night. After the first night there and having it take an hour to go 10 miles from MB to North MB I was sick of it.

But as I said before, nothing beats the car ride down because of that tractor we passed and everyone in the car wondering if we were going to have a Deliverance experience!
        "You gotta have fun. Regardless of how you look at it, we're playing a game. It's a business, it's our job, but I don't think you can do well unless you're having fun." - Derek Jeter

Comment

norm
          Imperial Guard
          • Jun 2006
          • DSA norm

Glad you had fun Jeter.

1. Did you guys go to Boardwalk at the Beach while you were down there?

2. Fireworks are partially legal here, but people visiting SC are crazy and will buy fireworks to shoot them off. It's sorta a tradition.

3. There's billboards advertising South of the Borders as far up as PA. Why, I don't know, but the billboards are all over.

4. Lumberton is a fairly nice town to visit, the state park there is pretty cool. You would know it Jeter as the place MJ's father was shot at the rest stop just outside of Lumberton.

5. Yes Hardee's is a good burger. Especially compared to McDonald's. ;)

6. There is no 1-85 in Myrtle. :D

7. Next time go to a NC beach and have more fun.

Anytime you go to a state that has a lot of agriculture chances are you'll see a tractor. Large farms might have several fields and what used to be dirt roads connecting them are now paved streets, roads, and highways. Deliverance was the mountains, different cultures.

Comment

Zabka
            Imperial Guard
            • Nov 2004
            • DSA Zabka

Hardees burgers have almost always been awful since I was 8. When I was 5 they
            seemed okay. But they stopped charbroiling them and just broiled them sometime in the 70's. I find them tough and inedible. I haven't had once since 2001 as a result.

They have the best breakfast biscuits though. Good fast food biscuits and gravy and very good biscuit sandwiches.

Isn't south of the border at the SC/GA border? I haven't been there since i was like 11.
            You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

RegentOne
              Imperial Advisor

I get irritated at how people drive in SC too Jeter. Everywhere you go people are Sunday driving as we call it in SC; driving 10 to 15 miles below speed limit because they have no where to go and are checking out everything on the way to see if a friend is nearby that they can chit chat. You will see lots of people riding in the pickup part of a pickup because it is a natural tradition in SC.

Oh yes Solo, state, city, and county highway patrolmen are everywhere in SC looking for someone breaking the law. Do not speed through the Columbia area on I-26, I-20, or I-77. You will get caught. If you are anywhere on the other side of Columbia headed through Aiken County too Augusta, GA especially on I-20, do not speed.
              "Do on to others before they do on to you.”
              {DSA} RegentOne

sigpic

Comment

captnjeter
                Honorary DSA

Norm, different cultures, same result - DOOM! :D

The only time I was by Boardwalk at the Beach was when I went to the Hard Rock there. I thought about going there one night but my friend looked up what they had online and said it was mainly shopping and clubs and that didn't interest us. We didn't learn until we left that there was a mini-golf place around there so I wish we had gone.

Zabka, I'm pretty sure it was at the NC-SC border. I can't be sure so I'll trust Solo.

And it's a good thing all those Troopers are patrolling the interstates and not the state routes. I swear I must have seen only two or three cop cars in Myrtle Beach.

For what it's worth, I think I enjoyed what Atlantic City has to offer more than MB. I like the area of MB better, but if I had to choose between where to stay I think I'd pick the AC Boardwalk

Comment

Zabka
                  Imperial Guard
                  • Nov 2004
                  • DSA Zabka

That's because you don't golf.

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

Rdaug27
                    Civilian
                    • Jun 2006

That and the guy who was riding in the "pick-up" part of a pick-up truck...
                    Oh that's standard third row seating in the south :p
                    sigpic

Comment

captnjeter
                      Honorary DSA

No I did golf Zabka. I wish we did more of it! I went to a driving range a couple of times and went golfing on a par 3 course. That's all my dad feels comfortable doing because we're terrible. I swear I sliced a ball into the gated community behind the course! But just from what was on the beach... there wasn't much. It was just the beach. Atlantic City you have the boardwalk and there is so much to do there. Plus if you travel about fifteen minutes away from AC there are some pretty nice towns around and some golfing around there. For a couple of years I went with my grandparents because they had a timeshare with Mariott at the Seaview and even though it was 20 minutes out of AC there was still plenty to do.

Comment

norm
                        Imperial Guard
                        • Jun 2006
                        • DSA norm

There's a bunch to do at Myrtle. There's the Broadway at the Beach. You've got rides, minor league baseball (Braves farm club), a NASCAR Speed Park, Water Park, Imax Theater, and a Ripley's Aquarium. At the same pace if you're into bars/clubs there's a Senor Frog's, Margaritaville, Fat Tuesdays and a couple of others. There's a ton of food places there too. I think they have shopping there too.

Zabka mentioned the golfing. There's a bunch of bars and night clubs located inside or next to the hotels. There's a House of Blues down there too. If you go down in the spring you can hit Biker Week. You would enjoy that :D

Myrtle Beach has too much to do sometimes. North Myrtle is a little slower, but still too crowed for me. I like just the ocean. I really don't have to be entertained while at the beach..lol

Comment

TheRealHanSolo
                          Officer
                          • Jun 2008
                          • DSA Solo

Actually norm MB just outlawed Bike Week. They are going for a more "family friendly" vibe. Right tell the seniors that for senior week.

Comment

Zabka
                            Imperial Guard
                            • Nov 2004
                            • DSA Zabka

As for the burger discussion, I have long contended that in n out burger on the west coast is the best. This article concurs. Your 5 guys burger place was mentioned favorably too.

The country's top chefs tell us about twenty-one take-out joints they're not ashamed to love, from a California burger chain to the taco shack down the street.

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                            Working...