Average Gamer: 35yo. old, overweight, depressed?

Collapse

Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rommel
    Civilian
    • Jul 2009

Average Gamer: 35yo. old, overweight, depressed?

According to research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Emory University, and Andrews University, the average gamer is 35, has a higher BMI than non-gamers, and is slightly more depressed than non-gamers.

Well, maybe that's the case for single player gamers? Because all I hear on the mic is teenagers and young adults.

The average age for a gamer is not really questionable.

I can believe that gamers have higher BMIs than non-gamers.

I can believe that gamers are more depressed than non-gamers due to their sedentary life-style.

Nonetheless, correlation does not imply causation. Just because most American gamers are fat, doesn't mean playing games makes you fat. Sitting on the couch all day and eating Doritos might have something to do with that...

Still, I plan on being a father someday (like in 10000000 years from now) and I do believe that allowing your kid to play too many videogames is dangerous because they get accustomed to the lack of exercise, physical labor, and socialization.

LINK and discuss please.
    racestar85
    Civilian
    • Mar 2009

My thinking "a person with this profile" more than likely had issues long before they started video games, and if it wasn't video games it would have been something else they spend the majority of there time doing. There is a bad side to video games, they can be very addictive,which could cause a person to spend way too much time playing, and lose tract of the more important things in life. My thoughts are, if your a responsible person, and can keep tract of what's more important, you can spend ample time enjoying your hobby (video games), without effecting any other part of your life or becoming overweight.
    sigpic

Comment

keyser28146
      Honorary DSA

I'm 35.

I'm overweight because according to the "proper" weight, I'd need be like 82 pounds at 6'2. I work out and practice Tai Chi Jian.

I'm probably more depressed than normal people, just because I've been exposed to too much mediocrity in my lifetime thanks to Activision, Judd Apatow, and pop music after being exposed to brilliance like Team Ico, Orson Welles and Akira Kurosawa, and Neutral Milk Hotel.
      sigpic

Comment

The_Blunt
        Officer
        • Jul 2007
        • DSA Blunt

Heh...more depressed. Yeah. I can vouch for that one.
        sigpic

Comment

RageProphetXIII
          Officer
          • Jan 2009

I seem to fit this profile but I'm actually quite active, I until recently was practicing a lot kickboxing and Ju jit su. I also was big on yoga but am now just huge....lol. I eat foods from the old ways of eating, lots of dairy and meat and now am currently shifting to eating nothing but greens and drinking just water. Less alcohol.

I can say I'm a bit depressed but you have to understand that I came from a place were 90% of my friends were killed due to violence and gunfire. We left my home world looong ago and when i return it's still the same but with more violence and noise.

These are hard times now a days and to do a survey of any group you will find that most people are depressed or angered with recent, current events and I think this will impact any of these surveys.

Half of what you hear on tv are desperate people killing each other and entire families. It's saddens me to hear these things since you and I are brothers and we are all ONE. YOu mean a lot to me even if I don't know you yet.

But Games are truly what have help me keep my mind straight it's how I can get my frustrations out so that i can positively release them without damaging the fabric of life around me. Before I got into games I would just break everything and hurt others with my anger. I can say now that I believe there is a good to gaming and yes there is a bad but you must find balance so as to keep it all together and under control.
          sigpic

Comment

Hogezz
            Honorary DSA
            • Jan 2009

That sounds pretty tough. If you don't mind me asking of course, where are you from originaly?
            sigpic

Comment

keyser28146
              Honorary DSA

Agreed.

You know I find a lot of this "research" absurd.

For example: Books were long thought the refuge of the foolish and lazy.

Then Plays.

Then movies.

Then Radio.

Tv.

Cable.

Video Games.

Internet.

Nevermind that as these things move forward, larger and larger segments of the population not only adjust to them, but eventually get to the point where life without them seems unimaginable. I mean how long have cell phones been ubiquitous? 10 Years?
              sigpic

Comment

RaTix
                Emperor

I think the average American in general over 35 is overweight and depressed. Slap any group you want into the statement and it will fit.
                "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
                ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

keyser28146
                  Honorary DSA

Yeah, and we aren't "average gamers". I would say we are Exceptional Gamers.
                  sigpic

Comment

k1gibson
                    Stormtrooper
                    • Jan 2009

Well I believe I'm the second oldest in the clan 45 getting ready to turn 46.When I was younger video games wasn't that popular. I just started gaming about a year ago if thats what you to call it so I will ask dumb question time to time,but anyway I think the ones that the study refers to, there child and teenage year they had social skill problem and low self esteem which theres alot of reasons for that so the video games is a world they can be somebody and be accepted and not be judged from there appearance or social skills.
                    sigpic
                    "We have learned that power is a positive force if it is used for positive purposes."
                    "Conquer, but don't triumph."

Comment

racestar85
                      Civilian
                      • Mar 2009

Originally posted by k1gibson
                      Well I believe I'm the second oldest in the clan 45 getting ready to turn 46.When I was younger video games wasn't that popular. I just started gaming about a year ago if thats what you to call it so I will ask dumb question time to time,but anyway I think the ones that the study refers to, there child and teenage year they had social skill problem and low self esteem which theres alot of reasons for that so the video games is a world they can be somebody and be accepted and not be judged from there appearance or social skills.
                      That's what I was trying to say, but with years of wisdom you said it better. The reason you just started gaming recently was because I wasn't around the house to make fun of u or kick ur ass.
                      sigpic

Comment

Rommel
                        Civilian
                        • Jul 2009

Anyways, I don't mean anything by this topic. I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion about it. These stupid polls are for me what reading cosmo is for women. :P

Comment

RageProphetXIII
                          Officer
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Hogezz
                          That sounds pretty tough. If you don't mind me asking of course, where are you from originaly?
                          I'm from Puerto Rico.

@ Rommel. Of course these things are great to post, they make for intelligent conversation, even though some dumb shit is said sometimes.
                          Last edited by RageProphetXIII; 08-21-2009, 08:10 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                          Working...