X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thedooku
    Honorary DSA
    • Sep 2008

Poutine

This is for Norm and anyone else interested in clogging their arteries with this French Canadian delicacy.

Montreal Poutine

Fries are actually the least important part of a good poutine, but better fries always make for better poutine. If you're going the frozen fry route, avoid "extra cripsy", crinkle cut, and any other abnormal or seasoned fries.

Cheese is very important. As the link above mentions REAL poutine is made with FRESH cheddar cheese curds. If you don't have access to a local cheese factory (which most don't) shredded cheddar will substitute just fine. Cheese curd is basically cheese that hasn't been pressed to remove the extra moisture. Fresh "squeaky" cheese curd is the best, but regular cheddar (I recommend mild/medium, not old/sharp) is fine.

Sauce is THE most important part of a good poutine. The powdered gravies in a packet work well for homemade poutine. Look for St. Hubert or Swiss Chalet (both Canadian) Poutine sauce. If that's not available, get homestyle gravy in those brands. If you can't find those brands get any good homestyle chicken gravy. There's some recipes for authentic sauces in the link, but unless you have real cheese curd and are going for the gusto, stick with the packet gravy.

Construction is important too. You want your gravy hot and ready at the same time the fries are done. Cheese should be closer to room temp than fridge temp if you want it to melt well. Place your hot fries in a mound on a plate, sprinkle a nice layer of cheese on top, then a nice layer of gravy over everything.

All this description is making me crave some poutine, sounds like I have dinner planned for tonight :D

Enjoy

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"
    keyser28146
    Honorary DSA

Rockin.

Thanks man, great post, and I'm all over it.
    sigpic

Comment

norm
      Imperial Guard
      • Jun 2006
      • DSA norm

this is the best hangover food ever

Comment

thedooku
        Honorary DSA
        • Sep 2008

LoL, you said it Norm! you like?

"The way a man plays a game shows some of his character. The way he loses shows all of it"

Comment

FunkyFaulc
          Civilian
          • Mar 2009

You want to send me some St Hubert Poutine sauce packets? I've yet to find a good homemade sauce recipe.

"Are you questioning my Bad-Assness? Have you seen my guns?"

Comment

thedooku
            Honorary DSA
            • Sep 2008

I found this website CanadaOnly.ca that sells the sauce, and it's only 50 cents more than in-store. I'm assuming you can't get any in your local California grocery stores, so buying online is an option. I checked ebay, and they have poutine sauce for sale as well. You've had the good stuff Funky, it's going to be hard to match at home, unless you can get some fresh cheddar cheese curd ;)

Comment

RaTix
              Emperor

Go to your local diner and ask for Disco Fries, this is what you'll get. I find the gravy is the most important thing for the taste.
              "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
              ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

FunkyFaulc
                Civilian
                • Mar 2009

Oh.. I have a tip on the curds. I wanted to make some poutine for my family when I go back from Canada. I went to the local Whole Foods Market and they special ordered some for me.

The only other place you can get them from is maybe directly from a dairy farm if you have one near you. I met a girl here in Sacramento from Quebec when I was in school and she told me that's what she did.

Thanks for the post on the sauce.

"Are you questioning my Bad-Assness? Have you seen my guns?"

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                Working...