Buddist thoughts on Violent video games.

Collapse

Ad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RageProphetXIII
    Officer
    • Jan 2009

Buddist thoughts on Violent video games.

Buddhist leader believes violent video games can be therapeutic

Trinley Dorje - Image 1Don't let his robes fool you - you may have more in common with Trinley Dorje than you think. He's only 24, listens to hip-hop on his iPod, and enjoys a good round violent video games.

Yes, you read that right - this Buddhist leader enjoys good old-fashioned pwnage as much as the next guy. In fact, despite his disposition, Dorje believes that this type of games can even be therapeutic.

See? He's a pretty cool guy. He's not much different from you and me, except that he's the Karmapa Lama, the only senior Buddhist leader recognized by the governments of Tibet, India, and China. He may even succeed the Dalai Lama one day.

As a Buddhist leader and a human being, Dorje doesn't believe that playing violent games goes against his beliefs. "Well, I view video games as something of an emotional therapy, a mundane level of emotional therapy for me. We all have emotions whether we're Buddhist practitioners or not, all of us have emotions, happy emotions, sad emotions, displeased emotions and we need to figure out a way to deal with them when they arise," he said.

He goes on:

So, for me sometimes it can be a relief, a kind of decompression to just play some video games. If I'm having some negative thoughts or negative feelings, video games are one way in which I can release that energy in the context of the illusion of the game. I feel better afterwards.

The aggression that comes out in the video game satiates whatever desire I might have to express that feeling. For me, that's very skillful because when I do that I don't have to go and hit anyone over the head.

When asked if meditation should be taking care of the negative feelings, Dorje simply replies, "No, video games are just a skillful method." The interview with The Times of India didn't yield which games the Karmapa Lama prefers playing and what system he plays them on, but it can be fun guessing. I'd sure like to try his monk mad skills on Tekken!

This guy is really something, he ought to have a little chat with Jack Thompson. It's a refreshing change to all the anti-violent game sentiments we usually get. What do you guys think?
    sigpic
    cmj75
    • Oct 2008

while that may work for him, most studies are in agreement on the negatives of video games. Not saying that will deter me but neuroscience is pretty consistent on the opposite of this.

Comment

Rommel
      Civilian
      • Jul 2009

Ok, first of all, I'm pretty sure that a buddhist that owns an ipod is not a good buddhist. My understanding of buddhism is limited, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to live your life as simply as possible and give away your unneeded posessions.

Second, I think there's a difference between the different violent video games and the article doesn't say which ones he plays. I think video games are just another hobby, and you get what you put into it. Fighting/Martial Arts games can improve your hand/eye coordination. Shooters can improve your teamwork skills. Most players however, just play them to relax and have fun, ie they treat those games as distractions. My question is: Are distractions good or bad? And does it matter if they're violent? In my opinion, it depends on many factors including the player's maturity, background, attitude, etc. Just as you can't say all video games are bad, you can't say all video games are good for everybody. I know that for me they are very addicting and they prevent me from doing stuff that matters. I enjoy playing video games, sure, and they help me relax, sure, but are they a positive experience? Hmm... Is drinking beer a positive experience? Does it matter if you're drinking/gaming with friends? I honestly can't answer.

And last but not least, fuck hip-hop. :D

Oh, and I wanna see that dude breakdance on his bald head. Go Monk! Monk! Monk!

Comment

cmj75
        • Oct 2008

there are numerous factors that go into it for sure
        an example:

or

or
        About 90 percent of U.S. kids ages 8 to 16 play video games, and they spend about 13 hours a week doing so (more if you're a boy). Now a new study suggests virtual violence in these games may make kids more aggressive in real life.

or
        This is your source for news on personal technology. Find info and reviews on the newest technology that affects your life. Read our latest features on new tech gadgets.

or

this is just "pop" versions of these studies and show the different views and factors
        of course violent video games have an effect, what that effect is and to what degree is based upon other variables
        that buddhist is an idiot and I don't see how it is consistent with buddhist teachings but then again I don't care about buddhism...anything richard gere and hollywood loves I hate
        @ rommel...the bigger problem with video games and our (over 20) generation isn't the violent aspect but the impact upon social relationships most notably marriages/children
        our hearts are where our time is spent..if we are spending it primarily playing video games, with our jobs, etc. well then don't complain when your marriage fails or your kids grow up resenting you or not having a strong relationship with you..you flat out dropped the ball because you were a holding a controller!

Comment

RaTix
          Emperor

Buddhists believe in an Eight-fold path to enlightenment. Which consists of being open minded, speaking open minded, doing whats right and consistent with your core being. They are supposed to view things without bias to find what their inner being believes in. The better you understand yourself, the closer you can come to enlightenment and Nirvana.
          They are allowed to have possessions, but not work with anything that contradicts their inner being. So if they believe weapons are bad, they should not be working for an arms manufacturer.
          anything richard gere and hollywood loves I hate
          would be a very non Buddhist thing to say since it is soaked in bias hatred. Although it's spot on for a Christian or Islamic. And BTW Hollywood loves Scientology, not many are Buddhists. Bollywood on the other hand might be mostly Buddhists lol.
          So the Monk is consistent with Buddhist beliefs in what he is doing.

Moving on to the articles you posted. One is a very biased study done by a group that has been known to go after video games.

Funding for this study was provided by the Center for Successful Parenting.
          Their study only shows how fucked up teens can become even more fucked up with violent video games. Not how they affect all children. Only those with DBD. So if you have a child that's not right in the head to begin with, you probably shouldn't give him violent video games, or sharp objects for that matter.
          It also only shows increased activity in the frontal lobe, with controls a lot of different things. Not necessarily violence. After all video games are a stimulus, so higher brain activity when playing is expected. If it showed higher activity in the Medulla Oblongata then maybe there would be some kind of connection.

These early findings confirm there is a difference in the brain activation patterns of youths with DBD and those without when exposed to a specific stimulus. There also may be a relationship between violent media exposure and brain activity in normal subjects."
          Notice the "MAY BE a relationship". Read between the lines and you can see this was a very bias and half ass study. I think Penn and Teller had this group in their Violent video games BS episode.

Two of the other articles are all about one other study. Another is about how juvenile homicides actually FELL 77% after Doom, which they mark as one of the first violent video games. It also notes how there are many other contributing factors to violent nature.
          "If we want to understand why young people become homicidal, we need to look beyond the games they play ... (or) we miss some of the biggest pieces of the puzzle," she said, listing community and family violence, suburban alienation and less parental involvement as other possible factors.
          The other one shows how video games actually HELP hand eye coordination. So your comment
          most studies are in agreement on the negatives of video games
          is not entirely accurate. You said there are many different factors, so not sure if you were trying to prove your point, or disprove it.

It's like the saying goes, Gun don't kill people, people do.
          If someone is violent in nature, anything they come in contact with can be claimed to be the cause of their problem. Their mom didn't hold them enough, daddy beat them, uncle raped them, they play violent video games, watch horror movies, smoke weed, drink a lot, etc..
          I prefer the simplest answer, they're just fucked up in the head.
          "POWER!!! UNLIMITED POOWWWEEEER!!!!!!

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you."
          ?Darth Plagueis

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."

Comment

cmj75
            • Oct 2008

@ ratix..the buddhist gere comment was intended as tongue and cheek..should have made clearer.

the links were quick examples to show that while there is literature out there it is inconclusive, hence why I stated have an effect, but what and to what degree varies.

Comment

Rommel
              Civilian
              • Jul 2009

I wish I was Richard Gere. Richard Gere kissed this girl:

That makes him cool no matter what he does or says.

Mmmmm, Shilpa Shetty.... arrrgghhhhhhh

Comment

Zabka
                Imperial Guard
                • Nov 2004
                • DSA Zabka

But he sparked outrage by kissing her publicly (and not something she wanted) at some sort of rally. Lots of beautiful Indian Bollywood stars for sure, I didn't know this was the woman.

And Bollywood is probably more Hindu than Buddhist. I know you were making a play on words but I just wanted to clarify for anyone who didn't know.
                You're the best! Around! Nothings gonna ever keep you down!

[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DSA+Zabka"][IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/community/mondoxbox/DSA+Zabka.png[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

dRiX
                  Civilian
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by RaTix

Notice the "MAY BE a relationship". Read between the lines and you can see this was a very bias and half ass study. I think Penn and Teller had this group in their Violent video games BS episode.

Hahaha wow another coincidence on this site. Just finished watching that episode. http://www.bigvidpro.com/?v=qRbXOfm6I14EQVwyXxIwxA
                  It's like the 5th I seen today.
                  sigpic
                  Now playing: Resistance 2

Comment

Ad

Collapse
                  Working...